Saturday, December 6, 2008

Lemon Drop Cookies

Here is the recipe for the cookies I make every year. My mom requested that I put them on the blog. Just remember that this makes a huge batch. I made some a few weeks ago and froze half the dough. I only use my meat mallet to crush the lemon drops and it works fine.

4 cups flour
1 1/2 t. baking soda
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
2 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. butter-flavor shortening
3 eggs
1 t. lemon extract
2 t. vanilla
Zest of 1 lemon
1 pkg (6 oz.) lemon drops crushed

Glaze:

1 c. powdered sugar
juice of one lemon

Cream sugar, shortening and eggs; add flavorings. Stir in dry ingredients, lemon zest and crushed lemon drops. Roll into balls, flatten slightly and bake on parchment-lined baking sheets at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Let sit on pan 1-2 minutes, then brush lightly with powdered sugar glaze and cool completely. Makes 4-5 dozen.

No comments: